TOEFL® Test Preparation
“Test of English as Foreign Language” or TOEFL® is one of the most renowned tests. It is meant to be taken by students who are aspiring to study abroad, but their native language is not English. A student aspiring to study in some college or university of US or Canada must clear TOEFL® first so as to prove his or her English language proficiency.
A candidate’s TOEFL® score is also used as a parameter for different certification and licensing agencies, and for scholarship program run by the government and some universities. Some important facets related to TOEFL® need to be understood.
Salient Features of TOEFL®:
- TOEFL® is accepted in around 2400 educational institutes of the world as a standardized test for English proficiency.
- It is an internet based test in which all four linguistic skills i.e. reading, writing, speaking and listening, of a student are tested.
- TOEFL® is chiefly taken by students for getting study visa in US and Canada however, this test is also mandatory for those who want work visa or residential visa abroad.
- This test is monitored by Educational Testing Service (ETS).
TOEFL® Exam Pattern
- Each section of TOEFL®, i.e. reading, listening, writing and speaking, comprises 30 as the maximum score, which means the maximum total is 120. Every correct answer earns 1 point.
- A cumulative total of each section is added to get the final score.
|Reading||60–80 mins||36–56 Questions||Reading 3 or 4 passages from academic texts and answering questions.|
|Listening||60–90 mins||34–51 Questions||Listening to lectures, classroom discussions, and conversations, and then answering questions.|
|Speaking||20 mins||6 Tasks||Expressing your opinion on a familiar topic and speaking based on reading and listening tasks.|
|Writing||50 mins||2 Tasks||Writing essay responses based on reading and listening tasks, along with supporting opinion in writing.|
You can register for the TOEFL exam online, via phone or via mail. The test is taken approximately 50 times throughout the year.
The test costs USD 160 – 250 depending on the region. In India it costs USD 180.
Online registration for the exam is simple. Here’s how.
- Click on Register Now on the official website.
- Sign up and fill in your details. All information should be as mentioned in your passport.
- Click on confirm.
- Now login and register for the test.
- Fill in the required information.
- Make the payment.
Result & Score:
The results are declared within 10 days of the test date. You can view them online on the official website. The results are posted in a PDF format within 3 days of declaration which can be downloaded and printed.
TOEFL iBT is scored on a scale of 0-120. TOEFL PBT is scored on a scale of 310-677.
The score determines the efficiency level of the candidate. Higher the score, better the command of English language.