SAT® Test Preparation
The inclination to study abroad has enormously increased in the past years. Thousands of students are going overseas to pursue their undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate studies. From this standpoint, there is a special mention of SAT® as students aspiring to take up undergraduate studies overseas may do so at recognized college from UK, US, Europe, Australia, Singapore, etc.
SAT® stands for Scholastic Aptitude Test. The objective of SAT® is to evaluate a candidate’s verbal, written and mathematical proficiency. The results of this test help the overseas universities in assessing chances of candidates for admission in colleges overseas. As an aspirant for pursuing undergraduate studies abroad, you must know more about SAT®.
Salient Features of SAT®:
- SAT® is split into two sections. The first section assesses students’ reading, writing and math skill of regular subjects they study in school.
- The second section is known as SAT® Subject Test which tests students’ subject matter expertise. The second section is mandatory for those students who wish to pursue specialization in a chosen subject like Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, History or Literature.
- SAT® is a paper-based standardized test. They syllabus of SAT® is also pre-defined and students have to study from it.
- In the Math section, calculator is not allowed.
SAT ® Exam Patter
All the sections of SAT® possess different point scales and the candidates have to sensibly answer the questions accordingly. Section-wise details of time allocation, questions asked and their marks are provided below for the understanding of the students:
|Section||Component||Duration||Number of Questions/Tasks|
|2||Writing and Language||35 mins||44|
|3||Math (No Calculator)||25 mins||20 (5 Grid-in)|
|4||Math (Calculator)||55 mins||38 (8 Grid-in)|
|5||Essay (optional)||50 mins||1|
|Total||180 (230 with Essay)||154 (155 with Essay)|
You can register for SAT online or via mail (only if there is a special consideration).
The cost of the test is USD 52.50 – 101.50 depending on the country you are located in. For Indian students it costs USD 96.50, and USD 113.50 with the essay option.
Registering for the test online is simple. Here’s how:
- Go to the College Board website and create a profile.
- Fill the application form with all your personal and high school details.
- Choose your test and the test centre.
- Upload your front facing clear photograph.
- Make the payment and print your admission ticket.
Result & Score:
The SAT results are released 3 weeks after the test.
You can access your score by logging in to your College Board profile. Each section is scored on scale of 200 – 800. Thus, your total score is in the range of 400 – 1600.