OET Test Preparation
OET, or the Occupational English Test, is a well-known English language test for healthcare professionals. The sole purpose of the test is to assess the communication skills of medical professionals who wish to practice in another country where English is the first language. It is recognized by healthcare boards and councils in many countries across the globe. Doctors, nurses must have a sufficient proficiency level to ensure effective communication with patients and colleagues.
Unlike other English language tests, OET tests healthcare English. The questions are set keeping medical scenarios in mind. Medical students and professionals have to score well in this test to get a permit to practice in another country.
Features of OET®:
- OET is accepted as proof of English proficiency in the UK, Ireland, Autralia, New Zealand, Dubai, Namibia and Singapore for registration in 12 healthcare professions. OET is available for the following health care professions: dentistry, dietetics, medicine, nursing, occupational therapy, optometry, pharmacy, physiotherapy, podiatry, radiography, speech pathology, and veterinary science.
- OET is recognised by healthcare council in Australia, New Zealand, the UK, Ireland, Dubai, Singapore, Ukraine and Namibia.
- The test is owned by Cambridge Boxhill Language Assessment Trust (CBLA) since March 2013.
- OET provides an authentic and reliable test of Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking skills for the English language in a medical environment.
- The test is regularly updated to keep up with the changes in language and terminologies in accordance with the healthcare context.
- The test is taken 14 times per year across 115 centres in 40 countries.
Difference Between OET & IELTS
OET and IELTS both these tests are specially crafted to test English language skills of people across the globe, Both have a few major differences on, who takes these tests and how. The tests are taken by aspirants who wish to study or work abroad. Read More Differences between OET and IELTS
Pump up your OET score with Aim Ladder, We provides the best OET coaching (Online & Offline Classes) in Delhi-NCR.
OET Accepted Countries
Below is a list of countries that recognise / accepts OET results as proof of English language proficiency. Please check with our study abroad counsellor before applying to any organisation, regarding the OET grade(s) they will accept.
- New Zealand
OET® Exam Patter
For successful preparation of the OET exam, you must be familiar with the pattern of the question paper. There are 12 versions of the test for each area of healthcare profession. It has 4 sections – Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking. While the Listening and Speaking is same for all versions, the Writing and Speaking are tailored specifically for each version. The whole test is of approximately 3 hours.
|Listening||3 extracts (Part A, B and C), including dialogue, team briefing, and presentation - all in a medical setting.||50 mins|
To follow and understand spoken materials on aspects of healthcare.
|Reading||3 passages (Part A, B and C), on general medical topics.||60 mins|
Reading and comprehending for summary, opinion and details on heath related text.
Letter writing on basis of case notes. Profession specific topic.
Understanding of the case and writing clear accurate sentences.
2 parts. Normal interview + role play interaction between professional and patient.
|20 mins||Ability to have an effective and accurate conversation.|
OET has over 115 test centres spread across 40 countries around the world. You can apply for the test at their website. Make sure you enter all your personal details carefully as they should match your documents.
The Test costs AUD 587.
The registration process is easy. Follow these simple steps.
- Login to your account on myOET.
- On the Dashboard, click on the tab ‘Apply for the Test’.
- Enter your details carefully.
- Check the location and available times for the test.
- Proceed further to checkout.
- Make the payment with your Credit Card or any other available method on the screen.
The results are declared 17 days after the test date. You can check your results after they have been declared on your dashboard from your myOET account.
OET is graded from A to E, where A means top scorer. They also give a numerical score for a more precise knowledge of the test-taker’s skills.
A = 450-500 (Fluent and efficient, complete understanding of the language)
B = 350-440 (Effective communication, good understanding)
C+ = 300-340 (Can maintain interaction despite of rare lapses)
C = 200-290 (Can communicate well, occasional errors)
D = 100-190 (May ask for clarification, frequent errors)
E = 0-90 (Simple interaction, high-density of errors)